Sunday, October 7, 2012

Turkey Advantage


   I've decided to take full advantage of my proximity to the Turkey Trot which takes place Nov. 17. My intention is to know every dip in the road and every pot hole (and there are many in this water-based town). The route basically ends yards from my doorstep. Ten years ago, the last leg would go past my house.

     As you can see, quite a bit of the route is by water, whether it be the inlet, creek or lake. The problem is at 5:30am it is very difficult to appreciate it in the pitch blackness. 
     I'm getting a little bored. I hate to admit it since my father says a bored person is a boring person. I have time so I can micromanage this run and perhaps cut a a few seconds off my time.  As you can tell I have lots of time on my hands. Some day I'll get a life or a life will get me.
     I've been up and down with my running progress. I've been accused of slacking off which is probably accurate. 5 miles was really tough yesterday and left me achy in the legs.  I think this is what they mean by hitting the wall. The tubby tummy is coming back. I have to remember where I came from and that this is what separates the men from the boys - maintaining. Taking it off is actually quite easy; as you see progress you develop momentum. Keeping it off is hellish but I have an advantage. I've been down this road once before and I refuse to go down it again, my dad's craving for tirimisu be damned.
     So I will look at this map and try to run the course at least twice a week and skirt in and out of it the rest of the time. Most importantly, I will not let the turkeys get me down.



No comments:

Post a Comment